A Fool-Proof Way To Teach Your Horse Flying Lead Changes
Follow these simple steps to train your horse to change leads smoothly & confidently
Imagine your horse performing flying lead changes smoothly and correctly. Wouldn’t it be great to have your horse changing leads willingly without any lurching or missing a hind lead? You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to teach your horse this maneuver using the techniques demonstrated in this video.
This Video Is Divided Into Six Sections — Each Section is Literally Jam-Packed With Information!
Here’s What You’ll Learn…
- “Mechanics Of The Flying Lead Change”. It’s important to know how a horse’s body works while changing leads and what cues cause the change. This section explains what a horse must physically do in order to perform the change smoothly and correctly. I show you the proper sequence of using your legs and hands to ask for the lead change in a way your horse can understand.
- “Preparatory Training For Lead Changes”. In this section I show you what your horse should know before you start to seriously ask him for lead changes. You’ll see how to get control of your horse’s head, neck, shoulders and hindquarters. You’ll also learn how to use your legs and spurs in a way that won’t upset your horse.
- “Changing Leads On Green Horses”. Here, I demonstrate the techniques I use to change leads on horses that haven’t had a lot of training. These methods are great for testing your horse to see if he has a natural aptitude for changing leads (before you spend a lot of time on the preparatory training).
- “Timing The Lead Change”. If you’ve ever had trouble getting your horse to change leads behind maybe it’s because you asked for the change at the wrong part of his stride. You see, there is only one part of a horse’s stride when he is physically able to change the hind lead. If your timing is off, you’ve asked him to change when it’s impossible for him to do it.
- “Solutions For Lead Changing Problems”. There are some horses that are really difficult to get changed. Especially behind. This section deals specifically with hard to change horses. I demonstrate a technique that is almost guaranteed to work on any horse. Even the tough ones.
- “Refining Performance”. Once you get your horse changing leads fairly consistently, it’s time to add a little refinement to his performance. In this part of the video you’ll learn how to smooth things out, slow him down and improve his head position.
Here’s a small sample of what you’ll learn…
- What a horse must do to perform the change smoothly and correctly.
- The proper sequence of using your legs and hands to ask for the lead change in a way your horse can understand.
- What your horse should know before you start to seriously ask him for lead changes.
- How to get control of your horse’s head, neck, shoulders and hindquarters.
- Timing the lead change. Had trouble getting your horse to change leads behind? It’s because you asked for the change at the wrong part of his stride.
- Solutions to lead change problems. You’ll learn a special training technique guaranteed to work on almost any horse.
- Refining the lead change. How to smooth things out, slow your horse down and improve his head position.
- How to teach your horse to lope circles on a light rein.
- How to train your horse to do correct canter departures.
- A special, little-known way to get your horse to do flying lead changes in 30 minutes or less. (I’m not kidding!)
The horses used for the demonstrations weren’t finished reiners so they made quite a few mistakes. You’ll see how to correct those mistakes in “real world” training situations.
This may be the most detailed and complete instruction you have ever seen on achieving good flying lead changes. I think you’ll love it.
Production values: First rate. The picture and sound track are crystal clear.
Running time: Approx. 1 hour and 30 minute DVD.
Get this video at a discount by ordering the Performance Training Package
Phone orders welcome
I am a trainer in central Ohio and I just recently started showing reiners. I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you how much your videos have helped me.
I was having a lot of trouble with my lead changes. The instruction you gave in
that video was top notch. Now, I feel very confident in that area.
I also have your Rollback and Spin video. Again, very helpful. I just ordered your
starting on cattle video, as I’m hoping to get into working cow horse.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you.
— Authur Buentello